Lt. Goins has Officially Reported for Duty


Maxwell Air Force Base, Montgomery, Alabama

This morning at 0600 I kissed Ben good-bye as he and Anthony set off for Commissioned Officer Training at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, AL. The farewells were a little teary, but I also felt a swell of pride as I watched him leave to fulfill what has been a dream and sense of duty he has carried with him throughout most of his life. Early this afternoon I confirmed that they made it to the base safely and hope to hear from him this evening. He will have access to phone and email so I at least I will have some contact with him, although it will be limited.
After this morning I have a new respect for the families of those who have loved ones fighting overseas. It was quite heartbreaking to say good-bye to my husband, and we will only be separated for a month during which he will be out of harm's way. It is much different than sending your spouse to Iraq for an indefinite amount of time where he or she will be in constant danger. Remembering those families makes me ashamed of feeling even the slightest bit melancholy.
I'm embracing my new duties and responsibilities of as a military wife. I've been studying my spouse's handbook "Air Force as a Second Language". I thought you would find the below amusing. I haven't experienced most of these yet, but number one I've already learned very well! I suppose number two means I shouldn't expect that assignment in Italy we were hoping for!

The Ten Commandments
of a Military Spouse

1. Thou shalt not write in ink in thy address book.
2. Thou shalt not covet choice assignments.
3. Love thy neighbors from other branches of the service no matter how superior the Air Force may seem.
4. Honor all thy benefits for as long as they all shall live.
5. Be thou kind and gentle to retired, white-haired Commissary, Exchange, and Thrift Store customers, because someday thou too will be a retiree.
6. Thou shalt not threaten to, or kill thy children or spouse when your spouse is TDY.
7. Thou shalt look for the best in every assignment even though the best may refer to "most childhood diseases in one year" or "record snow in one month’s time".
8. Thou shalt remember all thy friends from all thy assignments with holiday greeting cards, for thou never knowest when thou may wish to spendeth the night with them while enroute to a new duty station.
9. Thou shalt not curse your spouse when s/he is TDY during moving days, holidays, birthdays, or anniversaries.
10. Thou must never arrive at a new duty station and constantly speaketh about how much better thy last base was.

Comments

  1. I was just surfing blogs and came across this one. My brother-in-law is in the Air Force as well. He is heading back overseas for Iraq AGAIN! Your husband is not far from where I live. I hope the graduation is/was good. Marriage is tough enough without school and military life being added in. I finished my degree with a small child, husband, and housework... it was one of the best feelings to walk across that stage and get that "piece of paper." Know that people you don't know think about you and your husband and what your personal sacrifices do for us!! Keep us posted on your blog... I will be reading it often! The Hursts in AL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts