US Air Force Commissioned Officer Training Graduation

At the awards ceremony Thursday afternoon.

Ben's cheering section!

Look very closely for the man with the blue flag, that's Ben!
Excuse me, I mean that's Lt. Goins with the "guidon".

Ben and his mom after the parade on Friday, he's done!

Elizabeth picked out the perfect parade outfit for me in Air Force colors!

Me with three of the DCOM students, Joel, Ben, and Anthony.

Lt. Cavalli and Lt. Goins

Ben with his roommate, Lt. Dan.

Ben is home!! We were able to see each other on Wednesday, June 25 (the day after our anniversary) when I arrived in Montgomery. I don't think I realized how much I missed him until I saw him. When we saw each other I let go of everything I had been holding in for a month and completely broke down. In true Ben form, he told me I was "gay". Yep, back to normal! On Thursday I attended a spouse's orientation where I received a tour of base housing, the hospital, and the child care center. We were also basically told that in our spouse's priorities were now 1) Air Force, 2) Family, 3) Physician, in that order. Well, I already knew that, but it was sobering to hear it stated so plainly! Thursday I got to have lunch with Ben in the dining hall where he had been eating his meals and walk around base with him a bit. It was at that point I realized that the Ben I said good-bye to just a month earlier was not the same Ben coming back to me. Watching him walk in uniform and salute those who passed was surreal. When asked to describe how Ben changed, the best I can come up with is that he's still himself, just better. My dad describes it as a "quiet confidence" which is probably more descriptive, not to mention more eloquent.
Friday was the parade which was the culminating event of the training. Ben was a guidon bearer (flag), so his part in the parade was a little more interesting than just marching. It also meant he was in the front so we could all see him! For the parade his mom, step-dad Jimmy, dad, Aunt Susy, Uncle Ronnie, and my dad all drove to Montgomery to see him. My dad (former decorated US Army) actually saluted him when he walked up, but said that was the one and only time and I didn't get the camera out fast enough to capture the moment, darn! At the end of the parade they took the oath of office (again) and right when they said "class dismissed", they threw off their caps and jets flew over, shaking the stands with a deafening sound! It was amazing, I had chill bumps! Of course, the best part was when we drove off base and I took Ben home. Now that we're back together, I don't know how I did it without him. I could not have done it without the support from my family and friends, and God as my constant companion.

Comments

  1. Yay Ben!!! Your a little behind on your blog Miss Angela! LOL! ;) Can't wait to hang out this week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts