To Ben in Germany #2


Today was the first full day without you here.  Only 30 more to go (I don't count September 1st since I'll see you that day, even if it's not until 9:30 at night).

And now for the family update portion of this blog post:

Will slept eleven (!!!) straight hours last night.



It felt like a "normal" night.  In bed at 7:30p up at 6:30a.  It was like we were actual human beings.  Of course I did not get the full benefit of a sleep-filled night since I didn't go to sleep until 2am because I watched that little plane make it's way across the Atlantic and land in Frankfurt. Then I was up for an hour with Adam after he fell out of his bed, but I least I wasn't feeding Will on top of that!

You looked so tired on Skype this morning, but it was great to see your face even for a little bit.  How cute was Adam's lullaby?  How could you not sleep great after such a serenade? I can't believe you were kept awake on the plane by a newborn on the same night your own newborn slept through the night back home.
Pretty funny, huh? Are you laughing?  No?

Today we tackled the inevitable.  Grocery shopping with two kids.  You're probably not going to be happy about this, but I did the shopping at Target instead of the Commissary.  I know, I know, taxes, higher prices, blah blah blah.  But I can explain!  I had things to get at Target anyway and so I only had to make one trip.  Plus it's Target!  The opportunity to grab myself a little happy off the shelf as a reward for taking the boys shopping was a necessary perk.  But the real reason is that they have these buggies:

Let me tell you something this thing was no joke.  It made the double stroller seem like a sports car.  And pushing it through the people and aisles...I just...I can't even talk about it.  But the important thing is we did it.  With two boys on the verge of naps.  Adam was getting fussy at the register and I couldn't find the cure. Goldfish?  No. Juice? No. iPhone? No. Spiderman sunglasses?  Yes!

Whatever works kid, whatever works.

The real adventure came on the ride home.  I rushed out of the store and loaded up the purchases and the children.  It was 30 minutes until Adam's nap time and Will's feeding time.  We were on the road & I was feeling pretty pleased with my superior mothering abilities when suddenly right next to my ear I hear:


I looked back and saw this:

Yes, that is our two year old NOT in his car seat.  Complete panic ensued.  In my rush to get the boys in the car I DID NOT BUCKLE ADAM IN.  I was already on 110 with no place to turn around.  I slowed down and prayed that I would not pass a cop, because if I did I was pretty sure I was going to jail for child endangerment.  I managed to pull off an exit and into a gas station.  As I went around the curve Adam yelled "Whoa!  This is fun!  Whoa!".

To be fair, I promised him a month full of adventures, and boy am I delivering.  Am I ever.

I quickly got Adam secured in his seat and we were back on the road.  Despite our little detour we still pulled in the garage with 8 minutes to spare before nap and nursing time thankyouverymuch.  But I mean, I couldn't give myself too big of a pat on the back, you know, because of the toddler roaming around the moving car situation.

After nap Adam woke up with a rash and I'm still panicking a bit about it.  OF COURSE these things happen when you're gone.  Thankfully I had a text consultation with Dr. Derek via Sarah's phone to make me feel better.  After an oatmeal bath, some cortisone, prayers, and an untouched supper he's back in bed. Will went down again at 7:30 without being rocked.  This isn't my first rodeo, so I don't expect it to be another perfect night.  But hey, wouldn't it be nice? A girl can dream.

Love you so much, I hope we can talk tomorrow on a somewhat clearer connection.  Miss you like crazy!

I remain Your obt svt,



Popular Posts