Our Song

There is a song I sing to Adam. I've sung it to him since he was a newborn. When nothing, and I mean NOTHING else can calm him, this will. I've sung it in the wee hours in the morning, over and over again on long car rides, and through teething and constipation. I've tried to mix up our playlist and substitute other songs when he's upset, but he will not have it. Few things make me feel more maternal than when my seemingly inconsolable boy immediately stops crying when I begin to sing this song. He knows it's ours, all ours and it means mommy is close by and everything will be okay. And I love that. I know it seems like just a simple tune, but to me it represents the bond between my son and I, and many personal motherhood triumphs. It is a reminder of all those moments that I would not accept defeat, but instead dug into the depths of my soul to find exactly what my son needed from me, then I gave it.

To you, it may be just a song from Mary Poppins. To me, it represents the molding and growing of Adam's mother, formed just for him.

Comments

  1. I sing the same song to my Henry..... its such a sweet, calm song.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts