Diagnosis...we're still not exactly sure

Yesterday was quite the busy day. I was hoping Thursday night that my foot would magically heal overnight, but when I got up at 4:00 a.m. and attempted to bear weight, the waves of pain and nausea made it quite clear that wasn't going to be the case. My ankle felt absolutely fine, but my foot was in extreme pain. The next morning, Ben went to school to take a test and I remained in bed. This was one of those times when being married to a med student really came in handy. By 7:30 a.m., one of his professors Dr. Wieting had written me a prescription for crutches and x-rays, and I didn't even have to get out of bed! I couldn't drive since it's my right foot, so after Ben took his test he got crutches and breakfast and came home to pick me up (after I had spent about two hours trying to get ready). We went to the hospital for several hours where I got my x-rays, then he dropped me off at work where I stayed for a few hours until my appointment at the med school clinic. So, I saw Dr. Seaman at 3:30 p.m., and the good news was the x-ray showed only soft tissue swelling, the bad news was the x-ray was mostly of my ankle, not of my foot. So, he ordered another round of x-rays. Yipee. After getting my very stylish air cast and prescription for some pretty potent pain meds :) :) we were on our way back to the hospital. Luckily this time we were in and out. At home Ben made sure I was comfortable with my foot elevated and plenty of pills. By this morning my foot felt a lot better. Dr. Seaman called this morning. He got one of the ER physicians at the hospital to look at my x-rays and he didn't see any fractures (he was specifically worried about my 5th metatarsal where most of my pain is). We will still have to wait for the radiologist report on Monday to be sure, and there's still the chance of a hairline fracture not showing up in the x-ray, but I do feel a lot better. Today I could even allow my toes to touch the ground to help my balance! Ben has been doing a great job cleaning the house and making my meals, which is pretty stressful considering he has a test next week. Hopefully the bone is just bruised and not fractured so I can have fast healing time! Now, I'm going to lie down. The Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen is making me pretty nauseous, so I'm going to take the suggestion of WebMD and lay with minimum head movement. The joy of drugs, you trade off one pain to get another. Thanks for all of the concern!

Comments

Popular Posts