Best Little

I just spent the last 20 minutes sobbing through the end of The Best Little ________ in Texas, which clearly means I'm in the throngs of some sort of horrible hormonal imbalance. An observation: Only Dolly Parton could pull off making a movie that makes you sympathize with "working girls" and angry when their "house" is shut down.

Here are the two scenes that really got me going with the waterworks...

Hard Candy Christmas: I'm pretty sure there's a Christmas video somewhere of my extended family (grandparents, parents, aunt, uncle, cousins) in the 80's singing this for the camera. I would love to get my hands on it. By the way, the plucky brunette who hops up off the rail as the bus is pulling up to the house towards the end of the song is inspiring. I will channel her next time I'm in a crisis. I'll just picture her lifting up that cowboy boot and I'll know I can go on.



I Will Always Love You: In the 90s when the Whitney Houston version came out I was in love with it. My mother promptly took me to Blockbuster Music (which was brand new, it had just bought out Turtle) where we purchased Dolly's cassette so she could introduce me to the real and proper version of the song. I never looked back. Y'all know Dolly wrote this, right? By the way, right before this clip starts, Dolly tells Burt, "I've danced my dance and now it's time to pay the fiddler". I think I'm going to have to start using that a lot in the future, isn't is a great phrase?

Comments

  1. I LOVE DP. I sat through pouring rain at Chastain to hear her in concert! I'm reading the best book right now -- "How Dolly Parton Saved My Life" -- you would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ang! I hope you are feeling better after that estrogen movie therapy. I love Dolly's version of "I will always love you", too. I remember singing along to her tape when my mother would drive us in her little VW rabbit (circa 1986? 87?). I still know all the lyrics for it and "Joleen"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts