We All Need a Hero...




...and the good news is we are all surrounded by them. They are the men and women in uniform who sacrifice for us every day. Today is Veterans Day. I love to use this day to celebrate my husband who is training to be an Air Force doctor. I think he's always a little taken aback by my efforts, though. He has such an immense respect and awe for those in battle he doesn't feel he's earned the right to be celebrated. This morning he received an email from a classmate of his. She sent this to him and his classmates who are in the military, and I think it describes beautifully why they should be celebrated. I hope she doesn't mind me sharing.

Hi Guys and Gals,

I want to take a moment and say thank you. Today is Veterans Day as you know and while some of you may not have gone to battle, you are learning the skills you need to take care of our soldiers. A few of those soldiers are members of my family and it warms my heart to know that one day they maybe in your office or on your operating table. I am comforted by the fact that I know they will be receiving care from individuals I would entrust my very life to as well.

God Bless you all.


I thought this was so beautiful, it inspired me to write my own letter:************************

Dear Lt. Goins,

I am proud to be your wife. I am proud that you have always had a call to serve. From the first months I knew you, I knew you would serve in the military in some capacity. If it wasn't as a physician, it would have been in some other way. Your obligation to this country has always been as strong as your desire to be a doctor. I am humbled by someone whose lifelong ambitions have been to serve and care for others, and honored to share a small role in that endeavor.

My father instilled in me a deep love of country and respect for those in uniform. Deep down, I always knew I would be a military wife and that the man I chose to love would serve. When looking into my future I always saw myself in a military life, just as you did. Now I know that God was preparing me for you and our life together. Isn't His plan awesome?

Now you are on the road to fulfilling your dreams. Not only will you be caring for people as a doctor, but you will be caring for the best America has to offer, our men and women in uniform. One of the proudest moments of my life will always be standing in your medical school and pinning on your lieutenant bars after you took the oath of office. It was the realization of a lifetime of ambitions.

I remain, respectfully and humbly,

Yours


Ben and I did not spontaneously acquire this devotion we feel to this wonderful country of ours. It was born into us and nurtured by our families who have also served. We would like to honor our parents and grandparents on this Veterans Day:

Connie Brewster Hice, United States Navy (Ben's grandmother)
Laurens Hice, United States Marine Corp (Ben's grandfather)
Herbert Robinson, United States Army, Purple Heart Recipient (Ang's grandfather)
Arthur Couch, United States Air Force (Ang's grandfather)
Jeff Robinson, decorated United States Army (Ang's father)

We also have many other uncles and cousins who served in the military from WWII through Vietnam, too many to list here. We are thankful for their service and will devote our lives to ensuring their sacrifices were not in vain.

Have you thanked a veteran today?

Comments

  1. This is beautiful and very touching. What a wonderful day to celebrate those who have and are sacrificing so much to make our country safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts