Privitization

So, not that I ever ever blog anymore, but I have big plans for doing so again someday. Anyway, I'm thinking I might need to go private because the daughter of one of Ben's patients was Googling him the other day and ended up pulling up our blog. No harm done, they didn't even realize it was a blog but thought they found a news article on when Ben went to D.C. I think they also enjoyed the little descriptions of our family. Ben himself didn't even realize what they had found until he came home & told me and I immediately knew it was our blog.


So many people are looking up their doctors online now (I know I have), so if one patient found the blog that means others will as well. In order to maintain the separation between Ben's personal and professional life I think I need to remove this from public viewing. I really hate to do that because I've "met" and interacted with so many wonderful people through this blog, but I think in order to maintain the proper boundaries of the doctor/patient relationship it's going to be necessary. The other option is to redo the blog with alias names, but that seems like an awful lot of work and one I'm not sure I could keep up. Going private could have some advantages, I would probably be a little more open knowing it was only approved friends & family viewing my posts.


Advice? Opinions?




Comments

  1. Go private. I've been thinking a lot about this too lately, and I can't decide whether I should make it private, or if I should change all the names as you suggested. Since you have a small child to protect, I'd go private. I don't have that necessarily holding me back at this point, but I think I may go private as well. (Though I struggle since I've been trying to build my blog community as well.) I'm not sure how I'll proceed, but I think private is probably your best option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. once we adopt i'm not sure what i will do until the baby is legally ours. i know i won't post a picture until the mandatory waiting period for a birth mother to change her mom is up...but i don't know after that how i'll do it. if i was you, i'd go private just b/c of the field he's in. i almost did at first since i'm a teacher and then i realized i didn't post anything i wouldn't tell my boss or parents of one of my students...but his situation is different. but if you do, i still want to read! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts